Thursday, 13 September 2007

earthquake

Latest : Quake tremors felt in Singapore

Tremors felt in most homes in Singapore early this morning. Singapore’s Meteorological Services said the earthquake measured 7.9 on the Richter Scale. A spokesperson at the Indonesian Meteorology and Geophysics Agency said a tsunami warning had been issued.

"Everyone rushed out from their homes just like last night. I felt dizzy and I knew it was another earthquake," said Anagil, a resident at Ocean Park, East Coast Park.

Residents in most parts of the island felt the tremors. It was reported that it lasted for around 10mins. No one was hurt nor injured.

"The public should stay calm as Singapore is far away from the epicentre. But do be concerned if you see wall cracks or broken false ceiling. Stay away from swaying objects and leave the building if necessary for safety measures," said in an interview this morning on CNA with Professor Quek Ser Fong, Department of Civil Engineering - National University of Singapore.

Wednesday evening's tremors, measured an 8.5 on the Richter Scale,were the latest in a series of tremors felt in Singapore as a result of an earthquake in the region.

The worst quake was the 26 December 2004 quake off Sumatra, which triggered a series of tsunami. The quake which hit the coastlines of parts of Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Myanmar and Malaysia,was recorded at highest 9.3-making it the second largest earthquake ever recorded on a seismograph.

Known as the Asian Tsunami, the United Nations had put the deathtoll at a devastating count of about 230,000 people. It is the ninth deadliest natural disaster by death toll in modern history.


Reporting "LIVE" on twostraws25percent.blogspot
-Diana Hoe


======================================

Hah. Talking about being a reporter. I just wanted to try and write a report. One of my exam questions in Journalism is to test me on report writing skills. Some facts of the earthquakes were searched online. And personal experience, I felt it this morning too!!! I actually forgot my staff pass and had to make a trip back home around 8am. My sis was like "Eh! Can feel anot? I sit on the chair can feel lor!"

I have a mild vertigo syndrome so the short tremor caused dizzy spells.I still enjoy rollercoaster rides and those motion stimulators but I refuse entry to the OMNI theatre and haven't tried long flights yet( the last time was an hour trip to Penang. Got my ears popped). I remembered that Secondary school field trip to the Science Centre to watch some sci-fic show. I ended up puking in the first 10mins. eeeeeeeewwww. The dome-shaped thingy's just not for me and it's disheartening because I miss out on the IMAX movies like Dinosaurs:Giants of Pantagonia (i love dinosaurs!) and The Human Body which is currently on screen now. Arrrghhhhh.

Anyway I met a pervert this morning on the way to work and was on the verge of giving him one tight slap. Broad daylight CAN. He kept looking in my direction ( no I wasn't being sensitive). Ok I merely dressed up a little today for my group's press conference presentation tonight. Yea I had my shades on as well but I could see from behind my tinted plastic that he was making his way slowly towards me and his eyes still never left me? (and no I am not wearing a lowcut top and my legs are too fat and ugly.) That kuku guy had all the space at the bus stop but HE! stood like 50 cm away from me and tried to chat me up!! Wat the hell? He was pretending to be meddling with his phone so it wouldn't look too obvious that he was talking to me. I didn't bother lah of course.

DUH.





That aside, I only had 2 hours of sleep and had the sweetest dream ever of... I keep having sweet dreams of... But everytime I wake up, it's back to the harsh reality and it sucks totally. Sometimes I wake up with a jolt, sometimes with tears, sometimes with a smile and sometimes just wondering what did I dream about. I wish I could always remain in my la-la land. At least I know that's the only place I feel you close to me.

No comments: